MM.org Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Media » Anime » Number of Ninja (... just how many Konoha ninja are there?)
Number of Ninja Mon, 09 March 2009 12:07 Go to next message
Sakiku is currently offline  Sakiku   
Lowly Drone
I was doing a rough calculation for the size of Konoha, and I wanted to know how many shinobi there are. Then I met a problem: There are only 9 ninja who graduate in Naruto's year.

Going with that number, I assumed that this was the average number of Genin influx every year. That means, to keep the ninja numbers stable, Konoha can't afford to lose more than 9 shinobi a year. The Sound invasion during the chuunin exam alone killed a heck of a lot more (a third of the ninja population, I think), and never mind all those ninja quitting either because they're too old, permanently disabled, or simply sick and tired of killing.

Just how in the world does Konoha keep its numbers up?

And, for the number itself: assuming that there's a 5% chance every year that a ninja dies/quits/turns traitor/becomes permanently disabled, that would mean that 10 years down the line, the freshly minted genin are down to 60%, within another 10 years to 1/3, and another 10 years to 20%.

With a starting class the size of 9 individuals, there would be only 2 left 30 years after their graduation. Assuming an average of 5.5 ninja per year, that would make 165 ninja (I went with the assumption that after 30 years, they went out of business because of old age).

So. 165 ninja in Konoha. Most probably less because I always estimated upper boundaries.

How are those ninja distributed?

Assuming that half of the genin become chuunin, half of the chuunin become jounin, and half of the jounin ANBU, that means there are 88 genin, 44 chuunin, 22 jounin, and 11 ANBU.

This number seems excessively low to me. Those ANBU alone that have stood watch over the Chuunin Exam number more than 10, and I doubt Sandaime let all of them come there.

In the end, there's only one thing to say: my numbers don't match up.

Where did I go wrong? Did I make wrong assumptions? Or are there other ways of becoming ninja except for graduating? Is there a second graduating class in Naruto's year?

How many ninja do you think there should be?

Without mankind, would there be a god?
Re: Number of Ninja Mon, 09 March 2009 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zarduck is currently offline  Zarduck   United States
Intrepid Scout

well i am not exactly a full-fledge naruto guy but

Aburame Shino,Akamaru, Akimichi Chomaru, Akimichi Chouji, Ebisu, Gekkou Hayate, Hagane Kotetsu, Haruno Sakura, Hatake Kakashi, Hyuuga Hiashi, Hyuuga Hinata, Hyuuga Neji, Inuzuka Kiba,Inuzuka Tsume, Jiraiya, Maito Gai, Mitarashi Anko, Morino Ibiki,Morino Idate, Namiashi Raidou, Nara Shikamaru, Rock Lee, Sarutobi Asuma, Shiranui Genma, Shizune, Tatami Iwashi, Tenten ,Tsunade, Uchiha Sasuke, Umino Iruka, Uzumaki Naruto, Yamanaka Ino, Yamashiro Aoba,Yashamaru,Yuhi Kurenai

With these names there is also, Shikamaru's whole clan and his father. Ino's father. The whole Aburame clan. The Hyuga clan. The Inuzuka clan (at the least his sister). I'm not sure how helpful this is but I would guess around 100 but, it is hard to tell.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/57/m_85ea98194daa44e6ab4edfc610e8d7ab.jpg
Re: Number of Ninja Tue, 10 March 2009 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gohanstrife is currently offline  gohanstrife   United States
Unpredictable Mihoshi
Axe-wielding
DJ In Training
Long-Post RPer
Mod Slap Target
Zombie-killer

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Konoha_ninja

Toggle Spoiler

When it doubt, Wiki's there to help.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/gohanstrife/flag27.gif
"Simon! Your drill will pierce the Heavens!"
Full Fledged Member of the Dai-Gurren Lagann Brigade
Re: Number of Ninja Wed, 11 March 2009 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sakiku is currently offline  Sakiku   
Lowly Drone
Wow, thank you so much! That's really a very extensive list of known ninja. And thanks for showing me the Naruto-Wiki.

Still, does anyone have an idea how many ninja there are who have been operating outside the story focus? I mean, are those 60-something names we got to know all ninja that Konoha has, or are there still some anonymous ones around? If so, how many? (The Genin ranks seem especially empty compared to the number of Chuunin and Jounin around).

I guess what set this whole question off was a few thoughts about the Great Shinobi Wars. How in the world can you have a proper war with only about 100 people per fraction (assuming that the other villages have a strength similar to Konoha's)? With such low numbers, you can't form any armys, you got to resort to guerilla warfare and hidden tactics. And yes, I know that that's practically the description of a shinobi, but I thought that the term 'war' was intrinsically linked to armies and open battle.

Without mankind, would there be a god?
Re: Number of Ninja Sat, 14 March 2009 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gohanstrife is currently offline  gohanstrife   United States
Unpredictable Mihoshi
Axe-wielding
DJ In Training
Long-Post RPer
Mod Slap Target
Zombie-killer

I'm sure the story doesn't include all ninjas in existence. Plus, I'm sure the writer himself doesn't have a complete roster; leaving some space open for new story ideas, character creations or what-have-you. I won't know all that much, but I would assume that the fraction that is expressed in the story is only a small percentage of the total ninja in Konoha.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/gohanstrife/flag27.gif
"Simon! Your drill will pierce the Heavens!"
Full Fledged Member of the Dai-Gurren Lagann Brigade
Re: Number of Ninja Wed, 18 March 2009 03:40 Go to previous message
  SlyTrojan is currently offline  SlyTrojan   United States
Newborn Larva
Obviously the writer isn't going to talk about every ninja. I get the confusion about only 9 graduating in Naruto's year, but lets face it, that was a weird year. Also, did it say anything about year? Could it be that they have graduations more often than once a year?

Anyway, we know that there are a bunch more ninja that 100 something. There are a lot of ANBU that we'll never meet, medical ninja at the hospital, instructors, random ninja teams that go and do missions but aren't in the plot. We know that there are normal ninja teams like the ones Naruto is on because there are missions done all over the world, and the Naruto story cannot follow all of these.

Also, there are always generic ninja in major battles.

I'd estimate upwards of 1,000. Maybe more?
Previous Topic: shakugan no Shana Second
Next Topic: Geneon Sales/Distribution News (merged)
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Jul 31 19:34:15 GMT 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00825 seconds