Is anybody alive?

Trying to figure out if this site is still functioning or whether everyone has given up and jumped the sinking ship.

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My account is new actually. My original account on here was long dead but I made a new one this year for kicks and recently uploaded a story. I was testing to see if everything was working correctly and ran into a bit of an issue. I don't think anyone anonymous could leave feedback on stories I end up posting.

I don't remember if it was always a thing or not (last I was actually active here with my original account was probably 2005-2006), but there's this thing at the bottom of the review page after you've filled everything else. It's some kind of spam filter which asks that you type the letters displayed bellow, but like something must be wrong with the site's internal formatting because all the letters a reviewer is supposed to type are displayed as a decimal/dot and a pound key/hashtag symbol. I.E this: [ .###.....######....##...# ] I have no idea if there's a way to decode what the letters are actually supposed to be, but a google search led me to believe it's some sort of Java related programming that doesn't work right anymore since Java is essentially dead. I think it's a shame that the owners of MediaMiner haven't overhauled the site enough to fix at least something like this.

I would imagine that this inability to leave reviews probably drove a lot of people who like being anonymous in their feedback away from MediaMiner to FF(Dot)Net and AO3 and the like. If anyone can help with a solution to this I'd love to be able to post an explanation in my stories for anyone who might want to review my stuff anonymously down the line if I find enough inspiration to get back into writing long term instead of currently being in a temporary point of inspiration that has me sifting through old stuff collecting dust in my hard drive(s)/USBs and trying to find a way to salvage/continue some of it.

• @root if/when you have time to look into this?

• People are still around :)

• Just don’t talk much, it seems.

• Yeah, I guess it tends to be pretty quiet, you're right.

• I haven't heard of this one before... There used to be an "allow anon reviews" button, but I'm currently not seeing it. I don't know if it was changed or moved. I'm guessing this would be a question for root :/

• Okay, I looked into it some more, and you have to enable accepting anon reviews on your profile page. It should be under the field where you can change your password.

• @Sueric - That turned out not to be the problem. I already had anonymous reviews enabled, but I disabled them and checked to make sure they were disabled by trying to submit a test review anonymously from another computer then renabled them and checked to make sure they were enabled by trying to submit a test review from another computer and the spam filter issue at the bottom of the review page was still there. When they were disabled the site correctly detected and reported with big bold red writing on the would be review page that "The author allows only reviews from registered users."

Thanks for trying to help though.

• I should've given up after they took my Wattpad down

• Dude, I used this pre 2000-2005 when I was in middle school. I'm coming back for the wider spread. This site brings back so many memories.

• I'm returning after a few years away.

I'm looking for beta readers for an 18+ paranormal fantasy romance that is highly polished and almost ready to publish. Its like a more mature and darker Inuyasha.

I used to write in here back in the day and read so many of y'alls fics (Sueric still around?). That's how my story got started... so I would LOVE to have some of y'all on my team. Anyone interested? Here's the beta reader application form!

https://forms.gle/sUqtpkhqNwEfwfJJ7

• I am also still alive! Real life has just been EXTRA, lately. I haven't written any new fics in a good while, but when I do, I'll still be posting it here as well as FF and AO3. I will always continue to post my new fics here.

• I'm still around. I just haven't been able to post as much as I wish to here. Though, it's kinda tough when I lost touch as to how to write. Though I am starting to get out of my comfort zone.

• Anyone have a clue as to what is going on with the website proper? I haven't been able to access it since Thursday evening.

• I sent a message to root. I haven't heard back from him. Hopefully, it gets fixed soon!

• Thanks for the heads up, Sueric! I've been mildly concerned! :)